Brad De Long wrote:

> BULLSHIT!!!

Jim should not have made such a direct accusation and you should be a bit
more moderate in your response.

> Michael Perelman said that he was opposed to AGOA because capital was
> internationally mobile--hence the beneficiaries from AGOA are not
> (African) labor but (American) capital.
>
> I pointed out that Roger Milliken--American textile capital--thinks
> that AGOA is not in his material interest, suggesting that (as I
> believe) the beneficiaries from AGOA will be (among others) African
> labor.

But if Roger will be hurt, it does not follow that African labor will be
helped.  Other capitalists will be helped.  Despite what you write, I
remain unconvinced that the workers in the Indonesian sweatshops are
beneficiaries of free trade.  The profits flow in another direction.  I
think that the results in Africa will be just as bad.

Even so, I am very grateful that you are steering the discussion in a
fruitful direction.

As a student of economic history, can you point me to one instance of a
country that developed through feee trade?
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department