> Date:          Wed, 4 Dec 1996 12:58:10 -0800 (PST)
> From:          [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Doug Henwood)
> Subject:       [PEN-L:7726] Re: Social Security

> Saved? As Keynes said, we cannot as a community make financial provision
> for the future. What would these "savings" mean, other than inflated equity
> values, unless the rate of real investment were increased? And whatever

Please don't make me out to be an advocate for the
notion that more savings grows the economy, with
all the policy nostrums thereby entailed.

I meant that a privatization scheme which successfully
increases savings could raise economic growth (level,
not rate), granting lots of additional assumptions or
qualifications.  In such an admittedly fictitious context,
the worker-retiree ratio isn't at issue.  A larger capital
stock will find the workers it needs to produce more
than otherwise, other things equal.  In this narrow
respect, I think Brother Devine was in error.

> your position on the S<->I precedence issue, I don't see U.S. business as
> particuarly finance-constrained - meaning a significant increase in I/Y
> seems highly unlikely. Just what is the mechanism whereby higher S would
> mean higher Y in 2020?

I don't either.  I interpreted JD, perhaps wrongly, to mean
that an increase in the personal savings rate could not expand
the economy down the line.  I think it could, but how one
raises savings clearly has a bearing on the ultimate effects on
growth, and I doubt that any practical scheme for doing
so will work.

> Since the U.S. has one of the mildest aging problems of the OECD countries,
> where will the outside money come from? Malaysia maybe?

If there's more capital working in the US it doesn't have to
come from outside, although more savings with no added
investment could be redeemed by income produced
elsewhere.  That may be an unappealing prospect, but it
is not implausible.

> Countries with slow population growth tend to have higher productivity
> growth than those with rapid population growth. But forecasts of social
> security's bankruptcy rest on both slow productivity and slow LF growth.

Right; actually, slow productivity and zero LF growth, but so what?
We know that we don't know what productivity is going to be in
2020, or next week, for that matter.

I don't think it affronts Keynes to accept that more real
capital expands income possibilities.  I think you're
overreacting.  Maybe I overreacted to JD.

MBS
Max B. Sawicky            Economic Policy Institute
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          1660 L Street, NW
202-775-8810 (voice)      Ste. 1200
202-775-0819 (fax)        Washington, DC  20036

Opinions above do not necessarily reflect the views
of anyone associated with the Economic Policy
Institute.