>>> Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/April/1997
11:44pm >>>
>Social Democracy, as we know it, creates a bigger problem. ..
>Any time anybody tries to propose single payer now, the opponent
>merely have to point to the Clinton plan.

Agree with the sentiment about social democracy, but how does it follow
that single-payer is related in any way to managed care? I recall Hillary
working with the Jackson Hole group -- five megainsurance firms -- to do
the opposite of a national insurance agency, in the process explicitly
ignoring a million signatures in early '94. And I recall Vicente Navarro's
argument that making the demand for single-payer and a national health
service more generally is a potentially revolutionary, not a reformist
demand; since the US capitalist class can (technically, financially,
administratively) concede it but will not do so on grounds that it would
substantially diminish managerial control of workers (dependent upon
health insurance at firm-level).

Ciao!