> Date sent:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 16:08:16 +1100
> Send reply to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:           Ajit Sinha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:        Re: truth

Ajit, I agree that Althusser's theory of knowledge
can meet some of the objections I raised (via Hindess and Hirst).
Still, his overall theory has too many problems: 1) It
lacks a concept of agency. This, of course, is true of Marxism in
general, which tends to reduce agency to class action. But Althusser
aggravated this problem by rejecting the early Marx. Without the
early Marx one foregoes the rich intellectual tradition of German
philosophy, which Lukacs sought to resurrect, although in a very
limited way. 2) It pretends to be a "science" of politics, and it is
therefore elitist, and potentially anti-democratic, just like
Leninism. 3) Habermas is by far more profound...