On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, James Devine wrote:

> I thought that Heilbroner's NATION commentary on Mankiw was in many ways
> More interesting (to me, at least), was the criticism of Mankiw in BUSINESS
> WEEK: Mankiw leaves recessions, inflation, etc. to the end because he
> thinks they're unimportant and sees Keynesian economics as having a weak
> scientific basis. (Barro did this kind of thing in an intermediate macro
> text about 15 years ago.

One of the Ph.D. macro classes that I took utilized Barro's text.  I found
the book's exposition of its "scientifically grounded" alternative to be
somewhat muddy. It is interesting how supposedly superior economics often
is bogged down in clumsy pedagogical tools.

                           But Mankiw has described himself as a "New
> Keynesian"!) Mankiw's focus is long-term economic growth, based of course
> on the ultra-scientific Solow growth model (irony intended).

I guess one can only go "So-low."

To the strains of "Roll Out the Barro,"

Steven Zahniser
[EMAIL PROTECTED]