<< s this really going to happen? I find it nearly impossible to believe that
 a capitalist government would ever sign over significant amounts of land to
 aboriginals, no matter how solid their claim. Am I being too cynical?

 Doug

According to the NYTimes (I think this was last Thursday (2/5/98) or Friday),
the Canadian courts have ruled that the oral histories of canadian tribes can
be used as evidence of ownership of the land.  If this holds up in higher
courts -- this could mean different tribes gaining some of the most
significant winnings of land rights since Columbus landed in the Bahamas.

maggie coleman [EMAIL PROTECTED]