At the risk of sounding somewhat Hegelian. The problem can be looked at like
this. Both the individual and the group exist with equal ontological status.
Methodological individual gives priority to the individual, while some forms of
sociology (including some varieties of of Marxism) give priority to the group.

Understanding the outcome of individual situation requires a careful empirical
analysis of the interaction. There is no a priori principle that can be applied.
The dominant moment of the interaction will change depending upon the situation.
Sometimes the group (social forces) will dominate. Other times the individual
will. The longer the time period under analysis, the more likely the group will
be the stronger moment.

Rod

--
Rod Hay