Nancy works for me at the National Cancer Institute.  See
http://www-dccps.ims.nci.nih.gov/ARP/economics.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Devine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 12:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L:20477] Re: Re: GT

At 08:57 AM 6/21/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Nancy Breen (Do you remember, Nancy?) and I once met at Davis where we went
>a talk by Elster.  I had never read anything by him, but understood that he
>was important.  The only thing I recall from the talk was the appalling
number
>of errors about Marx that he propogated with absolute conviction.

I use Elster's MAKING HASH OF MARX as a source for common
misinterpretations (ones that are often shared by bourgeois critics of Marx
and dogmatic followers of the "Marxism of the 3rd International"). By
collecting them all in one place, he's done the world a service. But his
other work (often in game theory) is sometimes very interesting and
instructive. I can't say I'm an Elsterite, but some of his work provides a
starting point, if considered critically.

where is Nancy these days?

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine
["clawww" or "liberalarts" can replace "bellarmine"]