The other problem with functionalism is the implicit tendency to homeostasis.
Whatever happens  serves the function of maintaining the whole. Functionalist
conceptions of welfare in capitalist society focus solely on its
system-maintaining characteristics, when actually between the partial
decommodification and independence from the marketplace, the reality is much more
ambiguous.

Joel Blau