At 5:34 PM -0300 7/31/00, Ricardo Duchesne also wrote:
> > Studies have often shown that for every male diagnosed as suffering
> > from depression, two to six times as many females are so diagnosed.
> > Perhaps overconfidence (relative to actual capacities) in men are
> > socially expected and economically rewarded (at least relative to
> > women), hence overconfidence is not irrational but a rational
> > expectation of gender privilege for men in a sexist society?  How
> > often do women feel obligated to laugh when men tell unfunny jokes?
>
>was this study done by the same people who told us that 150,000
>American  died of anorexia every year (a # higher than that of
>fatalities from car accidents!) For more false data propagated by
>womyn's depts, see Sommers Who Stole Feminism? How Women
>Have Betrayed Women.

Speaking of evidence, can Ricardo offer evidence for his insinuation
that studies that have found "for every male diagnosed as suffering
from depression, two to six times as many females are so diagnosed"
are inaccurate?  What's his ground for thinking so?  Is it his sexist
intuition?  To my knowledge, not even Christina Hoff Sommers has
claimed that such studies are lies made up by feminists (probably
because findings of gender differences in rates of clinical
depression do not necessarily come from feminist scholars).  Sommers'
main target seems to be Carol Gilligan.  (BTW, for a criticism of
Carol Gilligan, don't look to Sommers -- see, for instance, Katha
Pollitt's excellent essay "Marooned on Gilligan's Island" in
_Reasonable Creatures_ instead).

Yoshie