>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> >  sound reasons to be depressed)
>
>This reduces the whole discussion to nonsense. The *whole* point about
>clinical
>depression is that one is "depressed" WITHOUT any reasons, sound or otherwise,
>for being depressed. (We are not dealing here with the "ultimate" causes,
>whatever they may be, of depression but with the facts of the illness once
>initiated.)

Ahem.  I'd said '*not to mention* sound reasons to be depressed' - fully
aware as I was of the point you make.

>People who have neither professional (technical) knowledge of depression nor
>personal experience of it should be very hesitant in commenting on it.

Don't think anyone was commenting on it, Carrol.  Just agreeing with you
that suicide and alcoholism rates might well be an indicator of its
formally undiagnosed incidence.

There - all cleared up, eh?
Rob.