Carrol wrote:
>The disproportion in rates of clinical depression between men and women is
>one of those facts so widely known and accepted that like the fact that
>Lansing is the capital of Michigan it does not require a source.

Strangely, autism (including Asperger's syndrome) hits boys much more than
girls. This seems to be for biological rather than societal reasons (or at
least the experts say and they seem much better than the oldereneration  --
like Bruno Bettelheim -- who blamed the kid's mother). Of course, the
biological basis may have something to do with environmental toxins
(helping to explain the recent epidemic of autism and concentrations of
people with autism in New Jersey).

I'm not an expert on depression (not having had it enough, I guess). I
don't think it can be seen as having a purely biological basis, though.

off to self-medicate,

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~JDevine