The question about self-criticism is interesting.  It reminds me of Keynes
discussing heretics.

I think about Sohn-Rethel's book Head and Hand.  I get the impression that
the guy worked on it for 30 years or more without much support for
anyone.  He ignored the criticism and produced a wonderful book.

Other people with the same "pig headedness" become "cranks."  I can fix
the economy with a new monetary or tax scheme ....

Some people can use criticism creatively, improving their work or even
their person in the process.  Others become stubborn or resentful

Are there any general rules that apply, except that there is not general
rule?
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department