Brad DeLong wrote:

> Bullshit. You meant it as a personal attack.

Brad, this is a bit over the top.  He merely said that you commented on
the book without without reading it.  Your thought seems to have been
that you didn't need to read it.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong
with that approach.  There are lots of books that I do not feel the need
to read even if I had much more time.

Also, Brad, the fact that what you call national differences in
productivity explain income levels in no way refutes Marx.  Marxist value
theory, which you are free to reject or accept, deals with values.
Actual incomes can easily deviate from such values.

So, for example, a worker in a Nike sweat shop may be producing a
significant amount of value, even though her income is not very high.

Also, in countries with high productivity, you will see workers producing
a great deal of use value per hour because of the contribution
technology.  Again, this fact in no way disproves Marx.

Nobody here expects you to be a Marxist, but we can expect you to behave
more politely.

--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department