>In addition, I think that people like Brad -- who are part of the
>hegemonic ideological bloc in the media and universities -- need to
>realize that there are other opinions in the world besides those
>which are acceptable in the Clinton White House or the Bush inner
>circle. Of course, those of us who have deviant political opinions
>have to tolerate your perspective all the time, since we have no
>choice.
>
>Or is appealing for a little tolerance of deviant political
>positions contrary to the current definition of "democratic" values?
>
>Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] & http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~JDevine

*****   There are many reasons, doubtless, why doctrines which are
the badge of a sect retain more of their vitality than those common
to all recognized sects, and why more pains are taken by teachers to
keep their meaning alive; but one reason certainly is, that the
peculiar doctrines are more questioned, and have to be oftener
defended against open gainsayers.  Both teachers and learners go to
sleep at their post, as soon as there is no enemy in the field.
(J.S. Mill, "On Liberty")   *****

Yoshie