>At 07:33 PM 09/11/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>But the idea that it is no business of the rest of us what
>>dictators do to their own people *is* positively, totally, utterly,
>>completely nutso.
>
>This kind of dogmatic style is a total turn-off, simply a way of
>shutting off any further discussion...

In my experience, people who jump to the level of
meta-discussion--urge that others be filtered, urge that others be
excluded, talk about issues of discursive process, condemn others for
style--do so primarily in an attempt to *avoid* a substantive
discussion.

Please don't remain at what I see as the sterile and pointless level
of meta-discourse.

Please return to the level of substantive discussion: Your claim that
Argentina's internal arrangements are no business of any
non-Argentine is truly remarkable and extraordinary. Defend your
belief: tell us why you think dictators have a valid hunting license
to turn their countries into free-fire zones for their amusement,
with no one else having the right to say "boo."

Brad DeLong