>You do not explain why it is "nutso" to consider that it is no business of
>the rest of us what dictators do to their own people.
>But isn't it common among certain types of  pragmatist and "realists" to
>claim that foreign policy ought to be based upon advancing national
>interest? On this view, hardly nutso, what dictators do to their own people
>would be a nation's business only if it impacted significantly on national
>interests...

No man is an island, entire of itself;
Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
As well as if a promontory were,
As well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were.
Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind;
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; i
It tolls for thee....