Before I ask other questions, please provide me with a brief answer to the
following very basic question.  I realize the answer will lend itself to
something much more comprehensive, but bear with me.

We all apparently agree that "markets" exist since the beginning of recorded
history.  But marxists distinguish "capitalism" as something historically
unique.  If the defining characteristic of "capitalism" is not markets, what
is it?

I assume the answer focuses on expropriation of surplus labor value by those
who own the means of production.  If so, and such expropriation would appear
to be historically pervasive going back thousands of years (slavery,
feudalism, etc.), am I correct in understanding that marxists define
"capitalism" as expropriation of surplus labor value in the context of an
industrialized society?

Thanks,

David