Dennis Robert Redmond wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, David Shemano wrote:
>
> > analysis?  In other words, if Marx and his successors were, as a theoretical
> > and empirical matter, wrong about the contradictions of capitalism as an
> > economic system,
>
> Which successors? I hope you realize that Marxism has *nothing* to do with
> Stalin, Mao or the propagandists of *any* one-party state.

Marxism is a movement, not a set theory. Dennis is just a frightened
theoretician trying to keep morally pure. Any account of marxism
that does not honor Mao (self-styled "maoists" do *not* honor
Mao) is not a marxism which has much to do with anything. Mao
is one of the great Marxist leadersof the 20th century. Leave
him out and you have a Marxism which has no reverberation
outside of learned periodicals and offbeat seminars.

I include Dennis in Marxism, but if I followed his principles of
metaphysical purity I would write, "I hope you realize that
Dennis has nothing to do with Marxism."

Carrol