Jeffrey Beatty writes:
>Mat's comment is consistent with what I know of Llewellyn Rockwell, whose
>libertarianism and Austrian economic perspective seem to be a smokescreen
>for an attempt to resuscitate John C. Calhoun as well as the rest of the
>"Lost Cause" of the old Confederate states.

I attended "Calhoun College" at Yale University. There was a stained-glass
window (since the building is quite gothic, way before being a Goth became
popular) of John C. himself. Strangely, part of the window had been
replaced by clear glass... it turned out that the removed portion was of
two of his slaves. I guess the fear was that the window would have been
broken in the late 1960s or early 1970s.

quoting Rockwell:
>>That America would never have tolerated such an atrocity as
>>the Americans With Disabilities Act. Here is a law that governs
>>the way every local public building in America must be
>>structured. It holds a veto power over every employment
>>decision in the country. It mandates that people take no account
>>of other people's abilities in daily economic affairs.

of course, this is a lie: if you have a disability that prevents you from
doing a job (e.g., if your blindness keeps you from being an airline pilot)
the ADA says that the employers don't have to hire you. (Of course, a
private employer can still hire you despite a disability, as when Pres.
Bush's father hired a mentally- and morally-disabled individual for the
Supreme Court.) This antagonism toward the ADA fits well with Ayn Rand's
attitudes, as shown in her THE FOUNTAINHEAD.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine