It is certainly unusual, but we do try--in a policy/research Ph.D.
program at the School of Social Welfare, SUNY at Stony Brook. Amid a
welter of policy, research, and stat courses, third year students take a
seminar in teaching in the fall semester, followed by a spring teaching
practicum, where they teach a course under the supervision of senior
faculty. Of course, the catch is whether the mentor knows how to teach,
but even the most well-intentioned curriculum planning can't control for
everything.

Joel Blau