Doug writes:
>Do any graduate programs actually teach people how to teach?

At UC-Berkeley in the 1970s, there was a program encouraging better
teaching by teaching assistants (of which I was one).  It involved videoing
one's teaching, etc., so one could learn from one's errors. (Harvard
economics had a similar program, I learned later.) It was voluntary, so
naturally I abstained. That decision contributed to my being canned by
Occidental College in 1984, because my teaching "wasn't good enough." Of
course, there were other things going on there (like ideological conflict).

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine