Chas. - Sorry, I was confusing. The neo-Marxist/bargaining power/radical
political economy tradition of Reich et al. take the position that racism is not
in the interests of white workers.  The classical Marxist/reserve
army/fundamentalist tradition of Botwinick, Williams, Darity, Patrick Mason et
al. argue that white male workers have not just a perceived but a real material
interest in racism and patriarchy, they do sometimes benefit, and they have
historically sought, and do sometimes actively seek, to shelter themselves from
intra-class competition from Blacks and women (and others of course).  They do
argue that white workers can still be losing relative to capitalists at the same
time as they gain an advantage with respect to Black and women workers.

Mat

Charles wrote:

However, I see below that I misunderstood some of the earlier quotes of Darrity,
Myers, Williams and Botwinick. From what you say below, those classical Marxists
have the same point of view as the other classical Marxists - racism is not in
the interests of the white workers, on balance ( or even at all). Do I
understand correctly now ?