Chris,
      Well, I am agnostic on the transformation problem.
I am in print as expressing some sympathy with the
Kliman-McGlone TSS solution, which is the non-
equilibrium approach you mention.  I reported on some
of the latest discussions of this that occurred at the
Eastern Economic Association meetings a month ago.
I keep one eye cocked at these discussions, but do
not actively participate in them.  It is my understanding
that quite a bit of the discussion on OPE-L does involve
specifically this approach, which is very controversial
and not accepted by many, including many who consider
themselves to be very serious orthodox Marxians.
      The TSS approach does resolve the problem, but
does also have its own problems.  But, I think that
michael would prefer not to have an OPE-L style discussion
of all that here.  I think that most people on this list have
some idea what the "transformation problem" (happy?)
is about, so I am not going to get into a big discussion
about that.  For anybody curious, the lit is vast and huge.
     As for the falling rate of profit issue, I will simply note
that mainstream economists who get upset with people
like Moseley who find a falling rate of profit by various
remeasurments of categories don't really have much of
a leg to stand on.  Mainstream economists regularly
proclaim about "economic profits" which remove
opportunity costs from accounting profits.  How to do that
is pretty arbitrary.
      As I have already noted, accounting profits have gone
up and down over time with no clear secular trend, although
they have been down recently, at least in the US.
Barkley Rosser