Jim Devine wrote:

> At 11:19 AM 05/30/2001 +0300, you wrote:
> >Jim Devine writes:
> >
> >As Baran & Sweezy quote Hegel to say, "the truth is the whole."
> >
> >=====
> >
> >According to Paul Diesing, this should actually read "the true is the
> >whole".
> >
> >Michael K.
>
> does it truly matter?

And if the whole (the complex of micro and macro relations that make up
existence) is all that's true, we must either put all in the care of God,
gods, or the Hidden Hand, or make sure we're able to act on what we do know,
act accordingly, conceive of those actions as learning, and act such that we
can quickly change what we do if evidence arises that something's wrong with
what we're doing.

We've gone the Hidden Hand route, and the signals this particular deity is
sending us ain't matching those the physical and social environment are
sending us.

Alas, our priests are able to see only the price signal, and conceive of time
as only a mathematical abstraction.  If they're wrong, and there actually is a
reality outside their neat little airfix models, and there actually is a
temporality above and beyond their dileated little abstractions, then we shall
never know more of the whole, never be able to act differently (because we
can't really *act* at all), never discern fundamental dynamics, and hence
never respond to them.  So Hegels Absolute would be calling us, but we
wouldn't be able to hear it, and we wouldn't be coming.

Mebbe the cockroaches will get it right next time 'round ...

Cheers,
Rob.