On Tuesday, November 27, 2001 at 22:41:10 (-0600) [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Michael,
>
>(and others) have been lamenting the failure of Pen-l to look at the
>current economic problems etc.   I have a practical (?) suggestion.
>
>I teach a course called "Canadian Economic Problems" and also
>am frequently called upon to lecture on "free trade" and its
>implications, etc.  What I do not have is a comprehensive critique
>of so-called free trade, all the agreements etc.  What I would like to
>see is pen-l put together a comprehensive critique of 'free trade'
>(sic) that we could use in classes, public protests, media, etc. with
>all the appropriate academic references to studies, reports, etc.
>
>I know of a number of studies (such as the excellent one by CEPR)
>on globalism and (the failure of) growth.  But I don't know them all.
>Nor do I know of all of the studies on NAFTA and job destruction
>such as the one by EPI/CCPA.  What I would like to see is a
>series of reports, not overly long, by interested pen-l members of
>the evils of 'free trade' and its effects.  Something that we could put
>together and download (or get students to download) that would
>give a comprehensive theoretical and empirical critique of the 'free
>trade conspiracy' with all the appropriate footnotes/URLs to relevant
>studies/reports/websites.
>
>I am not suggesting whole articles.  Indeed that would make the
>project useless -- but rather short 500-1000 word summaries of a
>group of empirical and/or theoretical literature.

I posted an article to the PKT list on November 10, 1998, which may
be a decent starting point for some of this.  I am appending the text
below my signature, and the hypertext version of the article can
be found at http://csf.colorado.edu/forums/pkt/nov98/0101.html.  I
also noticed a book that looked interesting on the Harper's Magazine
web site: *The Selling of "Free Trade": Washington and the Subversion
of American Democracy* by John R. MacArthur.  No idea if it is
actually useful or not.

Bill