>>From: "Forstater, Mathew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: [PEN-L:21408] RE: RE: Re: RE: Re: crisis causes the end of
>>capitalism?
>>Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:56:55 -0600
>>
>>I don't know if anyone is familiar with Darity's thesis about managerial
>>society or the managerial mode of production, which he believes has
>>developed out of capitalism. I am not sure if I agree that managerial
>>society is a distinct mode of production that had superceded capitalism,
>>but I think the thesis that managerial capitalism is another stage of
>>capitalism has something to it. In the managerial society, "experts" run
>>things and the system is based on credentialism. I can find the cites if
>>anyone';s interested. mat
>
>Mathew, I am not familiar with this thesis (though I recall you
>bringing it up on this list earlier) but I am very interested in it.
>The thesis appears to have some surface cogency, especially with
>regards to credentialism, the explosion in jail population in the
>U.S., populist authoritarianism in politics on the rise since 1980,
>etc.
>I would appreciate those citations.
>
>-Frank G.

  Wm Darity:

"Marx's fundamental law of motion for bourgeois society--the law of
the tendency of the rate of profit to fall--led to his famous
conclusion that capitalism would come to an end under the weight of
its contradictions. This conclusion has been deemed false even by
Marx's leftist sympathizers who see the power of corporate capital in
every facet of their lives, often failing to investigate within the
social matrix. Unquestionably, the working class has not attained
power in the US, nor arguably anywhere else for that matter. But the
end of capitalism need not usher in the 'dictatorship of the
proletariat'

"Instead the winding down of capitalism and the winding down of
managerial society ushers in a 'dictatorship of the intellectuals and
the intelligentsia'...

"th emost thoroughly excluded members of the 'outcast' group, say the
for example the black underclass, may find other policies besides
spatial isolation and deprivation of adequate welfare support...While
capitalism in its laissez faire mode necessarily posseses an
ambivalence on the population question, the social managers possess a
growing inclination to view population as something to be controlled
and reduced...

"In an earlier paper where I explored the implications for surplus
population of the rise of managerial society, I suggested that the
law of population in the new age would be 'the Law of the Progressive
Elimination.' Under capitalism the surplus population, and any
segments of its that are undesirable, must be identified relative to
capital's valorization requirements. But under managerialism, the
existence of a surplus population is a holdover from the ancien
regime, and the undesirables are identified according to the tastes
and preferences of the managerial class.

"It could be a matter of whim, or it could be a matter of crude
calcuation. If it is the latter, the managerial class will ask: Are
they too expensive and too dangerous to take care of indefinitely?
And if the answer is in the affirmative...

"...the underclass need not be a permanent fixture in the social
order, but its disappearance will not be due to actions to uplift the
working class. Rather it will be due to what amounts to a genocidal
strategy...
 From An American Dilemma Revisted, ed. Obie Clayton, Jr Russel Sage, 1996.

On the question of population control there are important books by
Mary Quine, Marc Linder, Winter and Teitelbaum, Diane Paul, Nancy
Leys Stepans (latin american eugenics), Troy Duster, Richard Lerner,
Soloway (victorian england), Weindling (nazi germany).Read em all or
at least big chunks of them all if anyone is interested in this
dreary, nightmarish topic.

As for the consolidation of an intellectual dictatorship, one is
reminded of the Polish revolutionary Jan Machajski who criticized the
pernicious influence of the new intellecual workers who had
hegemonized European social democracy. Machajski is discussed very
briefly by Russel Jacoby, Dialectic of defeat, p. 122. Michael
Pugliese will probably know tons more about this.

RB