Rakesh keeps reiterating that deficits represent a serious threat.  I don't
agree, even though I believe that Keynesian policy runs in the problems in
the long run.

My own preferred version of the contradiction suggests that a different form
of fictitious capital presents a serious barrier.  I tried to explain my case
in my book on Marx's crisis theory.  The deficit spending tends to reduce the
competitive pressures, allowing business to maintain excessive fictitious
capital, ultimately leading to speculative excesses (such as the buildup of
the telecom industry) and frauds.
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department