Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> I think govts have in fact already found that running deficits the
> size that would be needed to achieve full employment would only yield
> retrenchment in private investment;

Rakesh, I am not sure how you support the above.  Right wingers often
say the same.  Does Mattick/Grossman propose that idea?

Now, we have to make a distinction between deficit spending at the
trough and near full
employment.  near the trough, it will encourage investment -- less so
the further you come to full employment.

? govts thus find that limiting
> deficits and containing the run up in debt are important to
> maintaining private investment--that is, fiscal prudence gives
> confidence that taxes and interest rates will remain under control
> over the projected future and the state will thus not bite into
> profits the prospects for which are not strong.

This above statement sounds similar to Robert Barro.  With low capacity
utilization, companies don't care much about fixcal prudence.

> The state thus finds itself unable to do much even  as the private
> economy  has been unable to generate full employment and plunges
> itself into downturns. This has already made many people expendable;
> that is in part why we continue to be haunted by bourgeois dysgenic
> fears about the black so called underclass and so called illegal
> aliens.
>
> The limits of the mixed economy have in fact already been reached,
> including now in Japan.

I don't think that Japan qualifies as a mixed economy, but I cannot
speak with certainty.  Japan is, in my mind, relatively unique.

> I do emphatically agree on the importance of the theory of fictitious
> capital as you are developing it here. In particular, I agree that
> the way out of recessions ultimately depends upon the slaughter of
> capital values, not higher prices and strong consumption in the first
> instance.

I believe that the slaughtering of captial values gives capital a lot
more room to maneuver than a Keynesian solution -- which I regard as a
temporary fix -- although I am not convinced that the ultimate problem
is deficit financing.
--

Michael Perelman
Economics Department