----- Original Message -----
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 2:11 PM
Subject: [PEN-L:22191] RE: Re: re: re: Historical Materialism

Ian quotes Joan Robinson:
> "The awkwardness of reckoning in terms of values, while
commodities
> and labor power are constantly changing in values, accounts for
> much of the obscurity of Marx's exposition, and none of the
> important ideas he expresses in terms of the conceptof value
cannot
> be better expressed without it."

I don't think the obscurity of Marx's writing (which is supposed to
be
pretty easy to read as German theoretical writing goes) is due to
his use of
values. Instead it's because he doesn't do what modern writers do,
i.e., say
"this is what I'm going to say first; then I'll talk about this,
etc.,"
explaining the level of abstraction and stuff like that (i.e.
assumptions)
at each stage. Instead he plays at being Hegel and starts out very
abstract
(the Commodity in General) and becomes progressively more concrete
without
explaining the logic of his presentation (even though his analysis
does make
sense). (Charlie Andrews' recent book follows Marx on value theory,
but has
a much better presentation.)

> "As a logical process, the ratio of profits to wages for each
> individual commodity, can be calculated when the rate of profit
is
> known. The transformation is from prices into values, not the
other
> way."

this is what's been called the Steedman critique, though obviously
Robinson
thought of it first. It's at the center of Analytic Marxism. I
think it's
based on a misunderstanding of Marx's project, the facile
assumption that
Marx was a minor post-Ricardian who was first and foremost
interested in
price theory and distribution theory.

Jim Devine

================

Ok, but given the Quine-Duhem underdetermination problem-link
below-is not the burden of proof for the indispensability of Marx's
value theory on those who wish to retain it? Steve Fleetwood has an
essay on this in a recent issue of Capital & Class.

Ian

**
UNDERDETERMINATION

Empirical equivalence

Two theories T1 and T2 are empirically equivalent if every
observational consequence of T1 is also an observational
consequence of T2.

e.g. curved space-time vs.
flat space-time plus forces

solar system at rest vs.
solar system moves with uniform rectilinear velocity v

Underdetermination and Scepticism

If T1 and T2 are empirically equivalent, every possible piece of
evidence that supports T1 will also support T2.

The evidence underdetermines our choice between T1 or T2.
How do we decide which of T1 and T2 is true?

Note This problem only arises where there are empirically
equivalent theories.

< http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dfl0www/modules/scikandr/ROHP.HTM >