>think Marx was genuinely dialectical in a specific Hegelian sense--he
>proceeds by immanent critique, for example--but this isn't a matter of
>giving an alternative to explanation by means of probabalistic laws or
>tendecies, but rather a style of explanation that offers a framework for
>offering lawlike explanations.
>
>^^^^^^^^^
>
>CB: What's the difference between a lawful explanation and a lawlike
>explanation ?  ( no fuzzy answers)

The explanations invoked in physics are lawful, i.e., they use preciselt
formulated lawsto generate specific (if sometimes probabilistic)
predictions. On the most charir=table interpretation of laws in social
science, any lawlike generalizations that exist are not like this. They are
riddled with exceptions, burdened with ceteris paribus clauses, and
generally fuzzy. Moreover many social scientific explanations are, like the
explanations in evolutionary biology, entirely nonwalike, but instead
proceed by giving a specific sort of narrative. Darwinian explanations are
generally like this. However, there sre some more or lessrobust explanatory
generalizations that are like laws, if not ful--fledged laws like the laws
of physics. Precise enough for you? Books have been written on this; I could
give you cites.

>CB: Is exploitation a heuristic ?   Does the other way of showing that
>exploitation is going on use heuristic devices ?

No, exploitation is a fundamental fact. And yes my way of proceeding does
use heuristics; there's nothing wrong with using heuristics, as long as you
remember they are not fundamental theoretical concepts that describe the Way
Things Are. (I was a graduate student of Prof. Mary B. Hesse, author of the
pioneering study "Models and Analogies in Science," still the place to start
in thinking about this stuff.)