LOV and LTV
by Devine, James
05 February 2002 19:08 UTC

Charles writes:
> Can we get into a little more what a heuristic is ?  Seems to be a sort of
ok device for guiding scientific enquire, but sort of not a fulfledged
...what ? Theoretical concept ?   What is the term for other types of ideas
( that are more than heuristic ) that are used in scientific or economic
theories ? "Heuristic devices" seem to be tools used in a scientific or
knowledge process, but not the ultimate theoretical concepts. <

you've got it. A heuristic is a device for guiding thought or inquiry. One
example is the dialectical way of thinking, which does not give answers as
much as tell you what questions to ask: how does the whole affect the parts?
how do the parts affect the whole? how does the dynamic interaction between
these work? (cf. Lewontin & Levins, THE DIALECTICAL BIOLOGIST, last
chapter.)
JDevine

^^^^^^

CB: Yes, Stephen Jay Gould the biologist terms dialecticts a heuristic also. Myself, I
would not give dialectics a lesser status than full theoretical concepts. I was
edified by THE DIALECTICAL BIOLOGIST , well, sort of as a heuristic in coming to an
understanding of dialectics as more than a heuristic , as Marx , Engels and Lenin use
dialectics. I agree that dialectics brings our attention to the relationship between
the part and the whole ( although I don't read Lewontin and Levin to quite give such
an  symetrical version of the relationship. The give priority to the whole over the
parts, emergence, etc.). but also all the aspects that Engels summarized in his notes
for the book that others compiles as THE DIALECTICS OF NATURE. I guess THE DIALECTICAL
BIOLOGIST is dedicated to Engels, "who didn't always get it right, but got it right
when it counted".  I agree. The critical thing about dialectics is that it is an
effort to  understand the logic of change. Formal logic help!
s with snapshots, statics. We need both. Part of the reason dialectics gets fuzzy is
the same reason sometimes a camera picture of something in motion is fuzzy. The motion
of something _is__ the thing, the substance of it. So, dialectics is the goal, the
full concept. The snap shots of formal logical analysis are more the heuristic.

Anyway, I would give both "value" in Marx's theory and "dialectics" in theories of
theories higher status than "heuristic" as that is comonly understood. "Value" and
"dialectics" are vital , critical for scientific understanding,not heuristic.