----- Original Message -----
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

you can't understand what Marx is talking about in CAPITAL if you
don't
understand his jargon and more importantly, his way of approaching
the
question, which is summarized by his phrase "the law of value."
This lack of
understanding has led to all sorts of misinterpretations -- with
the
standard one being that Marx was interested in price theory and
followed
Ricardo -- and, more interestingly, caused superficial critiques. I
don't
think it's a matter of taste: the standard framework of mainstream
academia
is individualistic, where as value theory is inherently oriented
toward
seeing society as exactly that, a society.

=====================

Never said I didn't understand the jargon. Surely there are other
ways of examining society, no? Is there one true theory of society
under capitalism and doesn't this put the problem of
representationalism before us? I'd be the last person to want to
pigeonhole KM as a price theorist and I definitely see exploitation
in terms of asymmetric power/knowledge formations not only within
firms but diffused through the society. I'm certainly not surprised
that academics have an individualistic gestalt/bias. I argued
plenty with my profs with regards to the limitations of all that
c--p.

there's also a critique of Kant. If I remember, it's that Kant's
theory is
so abstract that it's useless, though I'm sure someone knows that
stuff
better than I.

==============

Well skepticism can undo just about any ethical project; it's a
short step from negative liberty to liberty as negation of anything
we don't like.

which Cohen? G.A.? I see nothing wrong with alliances with
non-Marxist
critiques of liberalism, but I think it's good not to mush them
together so
that we can preserve some conceptual clarity. Also, I bet that the
non-Marxist critiques are based partly on Marx.
=====================

Well that's great of course; I'm all for healthy syncretism and
pluralism. Anyone on the list for obscurantism?

good, but it's important to remember that capitalist society as a
whole is
also undemocratic and hierarchical.

==============

Ya think? :-)

>>Value theory starts with the notion that we all live in a society
which
works as a group (though often poorly coordinated). That basic
notion of
interdependency is missing in MI.<<

>Right, which is why I don't adhere to MI, but I came at the
problem from
philosophy of science and some of the same issues as Justin--he did
physics,
I looked at ecology and the ontological status of species--before I
really
engaged KM.<

According to Paul Burkett, Marx was very ecological in his
thinking.

I'll be checking out PB's book when it's cheap or UW library copy
is available. I loved the book he did titled Distributional
Conflict And Inflation : Theoretical And Historical Perspectives.
The first chapter was a prime example of lucidity.

Ian