----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> CB: Hello Jim. Here's my take on private property. I would define it
likes Engels in _The Origin of the Family, Private Property and the
State_ . It is not defined by it being alienable, or saleable as you
put it.  That is the definition of bourgeois, or capitalist private
property- that it is alienable, alienable in the market. In feudalism,
some forms of private property were "inalienable" ( "Inalienable
rights" used this analogy in the bourgeois revolution). The lord's  and
church's lands were inalienable , as you say, but that does not mean
they were not private property in the general sense that Engels uses it
in the Origin. Private property means having some enforceable powers
and control over the property, regardless of whether you can alienate
it from yourself for cash. Of course, market sales were a much smaller
part of the feudal mode of production in general, than the bourgeois
mode. The control and power the feudal lords and bishops had was, of
course, the right !
> to a portion of the products from the land.

< http://www.openicon.com/retreat/property1.html >

Property and Sovereignty[1]
By Morris R. Cohen
>From the Book Law and Social Order (Harcourt, Brace and Co., 1933)

[snip]

The distinction between property and sovereignty is generally
identified with the Roman discrimination between dominium, the rule
over things by the individual, and imperium, the rule over all
individuals by the prince. Like other Roman distinctions, this has been
regarded as absolutely fixed in the nature of things. But early
Teutonic law-the law of the Anglo-Saxons, Franks, Visigoths, Lombards,
and other tribes-makes no such distinction; and the state long
continued to be the prince's estate, so that even in the eighteenth
century the Prince of Hesse could sell his subjects as soldiers to the
King of England. The essence of feudal law-a system not confined to
medieval Europe-is the inseparable connection between land tenure and
personal homage involving often rather menial services on the part of
the tenant and always genuine sovereignty over the tenant by the
landlord.

[snip]

Well, right before our eyes the Law of Property Act of 1925 is sweeping
away substantial remains of the complicated feudal land laws of
England, by abolishing the difference between the descent of real and
that of personal property, and by abolishing all legal (though not
equitable) estates intermediate between leaseholds and fees simple
absolute. These remains of feudalism have not been mere vestiges. They
have played an important part in the national life of England. Their
absurdities and indefensible abuses were pilloried with characteristic
wit and learning by the peerless Maitland. The same thing had been done
most judiciously by Joshua Williams, the teacher of several generations
of English lawyers brought up on the seventeen editions of his great
text-book on real property law. Yet these and similar efforts made no
impression on the actual law. What these great men did not see with
sufficient clearness was that back of the complicated law of
settlement, fee-tail, copyhold estates, of the heir-at-law, of the
postponement of women, and other feudal incidents, there was a great
and well-founded fear that by simplifying and modernizing the real
property law of England the land might become more marketable. Once
land becomes fully marketable it can no longer be counted on to remain
in the hands of the landed aristocratic families; and this means the
passing of their political power and the end of their control over the
destinies of the British Empire. For if American experience has
demonstrated anything, it is that the continued leadership by great
families cannot be as well founded on a money as on a land economy. The
same kind of talent that enables Jay Gould to acquire dominion over
certain railroads enables Mr. Harriman to take it away from his sons.
>From the point of view of an established land economy, a money economy
thus seems a state of perpetual war instead of a social order where son
succeeds father. The motto that a career should be open to talent thus
seems a justification of anarchy, just as the election of rulers (kings
or priests) seems an anarchic procedure to those used to the regular
succession of father by son.

[snip]

As the terms "medievalism" and "feudalism" have become with us terms of
opprobrium, we are apt to think that only unenlightened selfishness has
until recently prevented English land law from cutting its medieval
moorings and embarking on the sea of purely money or commercial
economy. This light-hearted judgment, however, may be somewhat sobered
by reflection on a second recent event-the Supreme Court decision On
the Minimum Wage Law.[5] Without passing judgment at this point on the
soundness of the reasoning whereby the majority reached its decision,
the result may still fairly be characterized as a high-water mark of
law in a purely money or commercial economy. For by that decision
private monetary interests receive precedence over the sovereign duty
of the state to maintain decent standards of living.

The state, which has an undisputed right to prohibit contracts against
public morals or public policy, is here declared to have no right to
prohibit contracts under which many receive wages less than the minimum
of subsistence, so that if they are not the objects of humiliating
public or private charity, they become centres of the physical and
moral evils that result from systematic underfeeding and degraded
standards of life. Now I do not wish here to argue the merits or
demerits of the minimum wage decision. Much less am I concerned with
any quixotic attempt to urge England to go back to medievalism. But the
two events together show in strong relief how recent and in the main
exceptional is the extreme position of the laissez faire doctrine,
which, according to the insinuation of Justice Holmes, has led the
Supreme Court to read Herbert Spencer's extreme individualism into the
Fourteenth Amendment, and according to others, has enacted Cain's
motto, "Am I my brother's keeper?" as the supreme law of industry. Dean
Pound has shown[6] that in making a property right out of the freedom
to contract, the Supreme Court has stretched the meaning of the term
"property" to include what it has never before signified in the law or
jurisprudence of any civilized country. But whether this extension is
justified or not, it certainly means the passing of a certain domain of
sovereignty from the state to the private employer of labour, who now
has the absolute right to discharge and threaten to discharge any
employee who wants to join a trade-union, and the absolute right to pay
a wage that is injurious to a basic social interest.

It may be that economic forces will themselves correct the abuse which
the Supreme Court does not allow the state to remove directly, that
economic forces will eliminate parasitic industries which do not pay
the minimum of subsistence, because such industries are not as
economically efficient and profitable as those which pay higher wages.
It was similarly argued that slavery was bound to disappear on account
of its economic inefficiency. Meanwhile, however, the sovereignty of
the state is limited by the manner in which the courts interpret the
term "property" in the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the Federal
Constitution and in the bills of rights in our state constitutions.
This makes it imperative for us to consider the nature of private
property with reference to the sovereign power of the state to look
after the general welfare. A dispassionate scientific study of this
requires an examination of the nature of property, its justification,
and the ultimate meaning of the policies based on it.

[snip]

The character of property as sovereign power compelling service and
obedience may be obscured for us in a commercial economy by the fiction
of the so-called labour contract as a free bargain and by the frequency
with which service is rendered indirectly through a money payment. But
not only is there actually little freedom to bargain on the part of the
steel-worker or miner who needs a job, but in some cases the medieval
subject had as much power to bargain when he accepted the sovereignty
of his lord. Today I do not directly serve my landlord if I wish to
live in the city with a roof over my head, but I must work for others
to pay him rent with which he obtains the personal services of others.
The money needed for purchasing things must for the vast majority be
acquired by hard labour and disagreeable service to those to whom the
law has accorded dominion over the things necessary for subsistence.

[snip]