On Thu, 02 May 2002 23:24:33 +0100, Chris Burford wrote:
>While would-be marxists may have a low opinion
>of bourgeois elections, it was something of a
>problem that the German Nazi  Party did come
>first in the elections in 1933 and their leader
>was chosen  as chancellor.

This is not really how Hitler came to power. Hitler's seizure of
power was preceded by a series of rightward drifting governments, all
of which paved the way for him. The SP found reasons to back each and
every one of these governments in the name of the "lesser evil".
(This is an argument we have heard from some leftists in the United
States: "Clinton is not as bad as Bush"; "Johnson is not as bad as
Goldwater, etc." The problem with this strategy is that allows the
ruling class to limit the options available to the oppressed. The
lesser evil is still evil.)

The last "lesser evil" candidate the German Social Democracy urged
support for was Paul Von Hindenburg, a top general in W.W.I.. The
results were disastrous. Hindenburg took office on April 10 of 1932
and basically paved the way for Adolph Hitler. Hindenburg allowed the
Nazi street thugs to rule the streets, but enforced the letter of the
law against the working-class parties. Elections may have been taking
place according to the Weimar constitution, but real politics was
being shaped in the streets through the demonstrations and riots of
Nazi storm-troopers.

As these Nazi street actions grew more violent and massive,
Hindenburg reacted on May 31 by making Franz Von Papen chancellor and
instructed him to pick a cabinet "above the parties", a clear
Bonapartist move. Such a cabinet wouldn't placate the Nazis. All they
wanted to do was smash bourgeois democracy. As the civil war in the
streets continued, Papen dissolved the Reichstag and called for new
elections on July 31, 1932.

On July 17, the Nazis held a march through Altona, a working class
neighborhood, under police protection. The provocation resulted in
fighting that left 19 dead and 285 wounded. The SP and CP were not
able to mount a significant counteroffensive and the right-wing
forces gathered self-confidence and support from "centrist" voters.
When elections were finally held on July 31, the Nazi party received
the most votes and took power. But the results had been decided long
ago due to the spinelessness of the reformists.

--
Louis Proyect, [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 05/02/2002

Marxism list: http://www.marxmail.org