>>From: Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>... Also the left needs to make politics fun....
>>
>>Most important, as I mentioned before, I believe that a positive vision is
>>necessary for ultimate success.
>
>Amen.  The truest words I've read this year.
>
>Carl

It's not that leftists have no positive vision to offer.  The problem
is that if leftists offered a positive vision of what a good society
should be like and tried to mobilize people on the basis of that
vision, there would be a very small demo indeed.  For instance, a
positive vision of a good society, for most leftists here, includes
gender equality, sexual liberation, etc.; for a large number of
Muslims who made the DC demo big and energetic, such ideas may not be
part of their positive visions yet.  They agree with us on opposition
to the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza, but beyond that,
on what else do they agree with us?  I'm simply using Muslims as an
example here, and with all other likely constituencies that leftists
can help mobilize for this or that cause, the same kind of problem
exists, I think.  Hence the predominance of protest politics (=
saying no to this or that).  Hence the proliferation of issue-based
and identity-based groups, movements, etc.
--
Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>