-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Devine, James
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 3:44 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [PEN-L:26772] RE: RE: tompaine.com

also, is it true that Kuttner is pretending to be leftist by being
associated with tompaine.com? or is he a tompaine.com-type leftist who is
pretending to be more "moderate" in THE AMERICAN PROSPECT? or is he trying
to build a coalition with the lefists?
in any event, I don't think it's useful to attach a label to Kuttner and
reject him. He says some interesting things, even though I don't like his
focus on the wonderful[*] Democratic Party. The key is he a logical thinker
who bases his conclusions on fact and doesn't leave important things (such
as class relations) out? or does he provide an incomplete picture that can
complement others' incomplete pictures to allow us to develop a more
complete understanding and a guide for political practice?
[*] irony intended.
Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine