I largely agree with Jim.  There are times when it is important to
understand a person's politics; other times, you can do just as well to
take what they have to offer.

Chomsky is a perfect example for me.  I don't agree with all of his
politics or all of his analysis.  But the vast majority of what he says
has a wonderful influence.  I wish that I could do as much good in the
world.

I sometimes listen to RadioNation with Marc Cooper.  He was a horrible
influence in the Pacifica wars in my opinion, yet sometimes he has
interesting guests and even has some worthwhile things to say.

I think of Marx.   He could say positive things about, say, Malthus when
he found something of value -- for example, when Malthus attributed
greater productivity in England to a longer working day.  He could also
say negative things about allies when they were wrong.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321