Title: RE: [PEN-L:27741] RE: Re: Re: Imperialism in decline?

Ulhas:>9. Foreign policy issues are not important domestic  politics. Why should they be important? We are free and independent nation. Marxists, particularly of anti-imperialist variety, don't appreciate that calling independent nations 'semi-colonies' and 'peripheries' is the  worst possible insult.<

I wrote: >...The point of calling an "independent nation" a semi-colony or part of the periphery has always been to say that political independence is enough, since it is not the same as economic independence. <

I want to add the the whole idea of dependency theory -- from which this general viewpoint arises -- started in peripheral nations, mostly in Latin America. So it's a matter of people "insulting" their own countries.

JD