>How does this comport with Vandana Shiva's dire tales of Indian
>farmers miserably exploited by international agribusiness and the
>gene modifiers?
>
>Doug

Ulhas was writing about rich farmers, not the poor majority. Why he did is
anybody's guess. It is like asking somebody about the situation of farmers
in the USA and getting a report on California agribusiness rather than the
collapse of family farms all through the prairie states. In any case, for
those who want a less sanguine view of the situation in India, I recommend
Economic and Political Weekly at: http://www.epw.org.in/showIndex.php The
current online issue has an article titled "Suicide by Farmers in
Karnataka" by Andhra Pradesh, which makes distinctions between the "kulaks"
identified by Ulhas and the poorer farmers who kill themselves out of despair.

Louis Proyect