At 05:12 PM 07/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Grinding flour is a synecdoche for a society characterized by a large
>pesantry producing very low-tech goods in households and small villages.
>That style of production is inconsitent with being nonpoor. If people want
>to stay poor, that's their decision. I think many wouldn't, if given the
>choice. Even if the food is fresher.

I know that this is a complex issue. What people want, is to live! Good
food, good fellowship, health, protection from natural dangers....these are
not that expensive. What we have instead is a small part of humanity
asphyxiating in their own glut...and the rest ....starving.

Do people want to stay poor? Poor in what way? Given a choice between the
poverty of the farmer and the poverty of the industrial worker, I think I'd
choose the former; but I also think that at this point in history it's a
false choice...

For hi-tech to actually improve our lives (not our comfort, which is
something different), we would need to be able to look at it separately
from capitalism and separately from the ideology of technical progress.
That would really be worth doing.

Joanna