On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> So women should stay at home and mash lentils rather than having this
> process industrialized? How many lentils does Shiva mash, in between her
> visits to Japan and San Francisco? Or is there one rule for educated
> professional women, and another for uneducated peasant women?

Hey, Shiva sets off my bullshit detectors too, but this is an unfair hit.
Mashing lentils isn't industrialized in Manhattan either.  It's something
that happens after cooking, like mashing potatoes.  And it's not hard.

One could reconcile Shiva's love of the small scale and fresh with your
emphasize on the liberatory potential of industrialization for poor
villagers by simply saying that it is easy to imagine ways to make these
women's lives easier by industrializing differently.  Like getting each
village a specialized lentil harvester, for example.  Or getting local
factories to turn out simple metal grinders, like butchers still use to
grind hamburger, which could mash lentils as efficiently as a food
processor without needing any power.  And investing in improving their
local schooling and transportation networks.

I grant that this would require overcoming her false binaries between
technology and nature.  On that point, I'm entirely with you.

Michael