Doug Henwood wrote:

> So women should stay at home and mash lentils rather than having this
> process industrialized? How many lentils does Shiva mash, in between her
> visits to Japan and San Francisco? Or is there one rule for educated
> professional women, and another for uneducated peasant women?

so what is wrong with sitting at home and mashing lentils? isn't the
point that the choice be available? as for shiva's point: it's
unimportant whether its men who are doing it or women (she says
women because they are doing it today). the point she makes is that
it is preferable for men and women to sit at home and mashing lentils
than to adopt industrialized processes that afford some of them the
ability to fly about town or do whatever else. i see no different
rule: educated professional women fly around the world to earn a
living. uneducated peasant women mash lentils at home. the rule is
that neither of them should have their avenue to make a living
taken away. your argument and that of corporations attempting to
impose industrialization on india would seem to take away this
livelihood from them (the peasant women) without necessarily providing
them a means to join the jetsetting educated women's class. or is the
theory that the resulting abject poverty would bring about the
glorious revolution?

(with apologies for the excessive posts today. last one from me).

        --ravi