>Please what? Ravi goes on about sort sort wierd context relative
>truth, so I
>just quoted Ari's old definition that no one has improved on these
>2500
>years.
>

>=================
>
>Truth is more problematic than issues of representing form and we
>frankly have no decision procedure for determining whether or not
>there is only one form of truth because we have yet to achieve an
>exhaustive account of what is and surely an exhaustive account of
>what is not is not possible.

I have no idea what this means. The only notion of truth I haveever been
able to attach any sense to is this boring on Aristotlean notion, maybe as
tarted up by Tarski and Davidson.

However, the issue, with regards to
>law, is the ontic and epistemic status of *oughts*; the very stuff
>of politics.

That's philosophy, not law.

>Any lawyer will tell you that the law is a crude instrument, that
>most
>lawyers aren't very good, and I will add that liberal democracy is
>the
>doctrine that there's a lot of stuff that the law has nothing to say
>about.
>No one has maintained the Platonic Truth view of the law for over
>100 years.
>=======================
>
>Yes, but many pretend. What is a non-circular justification for laws
>forbidding people to consume the chemicals of their choice or
>purchase sexual pleasure "in the market" etc. etc.

Lawyers don't make these rules, legislators do. It's not our biz. Don't
blame us for the stupid laws p[assed your democratically elected
representatives.

Again the issue
>of just who is an expert in the realm of constructing and enforcing
>the forbidden in the absence of a platonic realm of noughts and
>oughts.

Not at all. Legislation is politics, not technical expertise.

>What's your alternative?
>
>=========================
>
>A severe circumscription of the use of the concept of *expert* in
>order to open  cultural discussions about the polysemy of expertise
>so as to diffuse the collective knowledge of the species to date so
>that it is not concentrated in the brains of elites.

Well, I'd like to see a better educated public. But not everyone can be an
expert on anything. I have too much education already and there is lots of
stuff I don't even want to know. You will never get rid of expertise. Sorry.
Except by Pol Pot methods.

> >What is the expert *like*? A god perhaps?
>
>What I said, a person who has knowledge and skills you don't.
>

>=================
>
>By that definition everyone's an expert on something; so if dealing
>with the complementarities of expertise is easy, we're still back to
>when experts conflict.

Life is hard. That's what politics is for.

*Should* insider trading *really be illegal?
>*Should smoking pot land you time in jail?

These are questions for politics, not expertise.

Etc. etc. *Is* Windows
>better than Macs?

Better for what?

>So lets talk about the efforts and $ the legal profession exerts to
>dumb down juries! :-) Surely a respect for the demos is at work in
>their motivations!

What makes you think thatlawyers want dumb juries?

jks