Michael writes:

>  I would only add that in
>these debates nobody seems to learn anything from anybody else -- at
>least, you can pretty well predict what the few participants in such
>debates will write.

To be sure, most postings in most PEN-L debates appear as predictable
rehearsals of existing positions.  But for what it's worth, that doesn't
mean that no learning is going on, despite the occasionally frustrating
lack of anything that looks like progress or  meetings of minds. Among the
things I've gotten from past PEN-L debates in which I've participated
are:  finding out the range of possible arguments against a given position
(and possible responses); references to relevant literature (particularly
useful); and offline correspondences that often *do* end up going
somewhere.  On the first point, for those who enter given debates seriously
and in good faith, positions and counterpositions can be developed much
more rapidly than via the traditional route of published exchanges in
journals. I think that's been a real contribution of this medium, despite
its drawbacks.

Gil