My own favourite Soviet war film is Stanislav Rostotskii's  "... A zori
zdyes' tikhiye' which describes the fate of an all-women anti-aircraft unit
stationed in Latvia, but the only dep longing I saw there was for victory
over the Nazis and their Romanian allies.

> While I can appreciate the courage it would take for an American
> to become
> any kind of red,

I'm not an American but you're not the first to assume I was and then to
deplore me for being ready to look at all sides of the truth about Stalin
(from whom people 'cowered in abject terror' etc etc) while in the same
breath congratulating an American for being brave enough to do so, which
suggests to me that most of the cowering in abject terror is being done
these days by Americans.

Now, we don't agree. I din't live in Romania my wife was born there and I
did live in the Soviet Union for many years so I guess I'm also entitled to
anecdotalise a little.

Mark