My view on the "four C's" is laid out in my Journal of
Economic Perspectives, 1999, article, "On the Complexity
of Complex Economic Dynamics," which can be seen
on my website, with a much more thorough discussion in
the book I have already mentioned.  Briefly, there were
indeed "intellectual bubbles" regarding cybernetics,
catastrophe theory, chaos theory, and complexity theory,
which rose and then fell.  However, this does not mean
that therefore the ideas of the theories were wrong
or misguided.  Indeed, I argue that there is a clear
intellectual link between them and that they are all part
of the "broad tent complexity" view that is becoming
increasingly dominant and important, not less so.  The
chaoplexologists should accept the designation, just
as impressionist painters accepted that designation
from a critic.
     I have recently addressed this business of fads
more directly in my paper, "The Rise and Fall of
Catastrophe Theory Applications in Economics:
Was the Baby Thrown out with the Bathwater?"
to which the quick answer is "yes."  It is also on
my website.  Critics like Horgan thought that they
were really doing in the later C's by pointing out what
happened to cat theory.  But it is back big time.
The collapse of the intellectual bubble overshot in
the other direction and the baby was indeed thrown
out with the bathwater.
     As editor of a journal that is a major outlet for
this kind of stuff I see lots of papers using chaos
theory in a more or less "normal science" way,
to use Kuhnian terminology.  The term "complex"
is currently being less used, hence maybe was a
fad.  However, I see lots of papers, many of them
very interesting and challenging, that use the methods
and techniques of the newer ("small tent") complexity
theory.  It is very much alive, but more in its multiple
and distinct versions and parts rather than as some
big whole.  The very variety of definitions of complexity
almost guarantees this.
     The term "catastrophe theory" has essentially been
purged.  The current papers using it speak of Skiba
points or multiple equilibria, with some authors consciously
avoiding the term because they know using it will damage
their prospects of publishing their papers.  The term
"cybernetics" has also largely disappeared, although
many of its ideas were folded directly into the modern
"small tent" complexity theory where it essentially survives.
Barkley Rosser
http://cob.jmu.edu/rosserjb