Sabri,
      The fad phase of cybernetics was the 1950s
and 1960s.  Today it lives in modern complexity stuff.
The fad phase of catastrophe theory was the 1970s.
Today it is dead, except when appearing under
other names, which it is increasingly doing so again.
The fad phase for chaos theory was the 1980s, at
the end of which was when the Wiggins book appeared.
Today, chaos theory is just normal science.  The fad
phase for complexity was the 1990s, and it is now
essentially normal science also, broken down into
all its constituent parts, which are very much alive.
      Somebody commented that an important aspect
of this involves journalists hyping things with schlocky
books that sell a lot and make money.  For chaos
theory the biggie was by James Gleick, 1987.
For complexity it was Waldrop in 1992.  These also
bring out the overhyping debunkers, with Horgan's
End of Science, 1996, being the model.  The first
batch overhype and the second batch overdehype.
     One sign of all this is to look at the mathematicians,
who, although also subject to a certain amount of faddism,
tended to be much less affected by all this and, especially
the Russian ones, maintained more reasoned views on
these things.  Thus they never hyped catastrophe theory
all that much, seeing it as a perfectly respectable and
useful sub-branch of bifurcation theory.  Therefore, they
never felt the need to purge it and ignore it, as did the
lesser breeds like the economists, who are so busy
trying to show what hot-ass mathoids they are, even
worse than their physics envy, that they must huff and
puff to keep up (and down) with these various manifestations
of "fictitious intellectual capital."  The most level-headed
book on catastrophe theory is by Vladimir Arnol'd,
a Russian, Catastrophe Theory, 3rd edn., 1992,
Springer-Verlag.
Barkley Rosser