----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Proyect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 6:57 AM
Subject: [PEN-L] Query from a Venezuelan

Dear Louis Proyect,

I am an Argentinean friend of Néstor Gorojoski. I am working for the
Government of Venezuela.

Venezuela is in the middle of a process of industrialization, and the
government is taking an active and protectionist economic policy to
achieve this objective (high import tariffs, control exchange rate,
substitutions of major imports...).

We need to explain the Venezuelan people that we are just copying the
American historic protectionist policy to achieve economic development.

We are looking for BIBLIOGRAPHY that explains how the United States
develop its industries through protectionism since 1770 (specially
during its first years -1770 to 1810-).

Thanks very much Louis,

FC

See:

"Opening America's Markets: US Foreign Trade Since 1776" by Alfred Eckes
Jr. [ a meticulous history of protectionism/free trade policies and public
debates with loads of references ]

"Kicking Away the Ladder: Development Strategy in Historical Perspective"
by Ha-Joon Chang [for a somewhat larger perspective]

Ian