Coincidentally I was doing a Google search and came across this
contribution to LBO-talk in October 2001 by Greg Schofield, which seems to
put the issue well.

[Unfortunately his email address no longer seems to be working. If anyone
can forward me his current address, I would be grateful.]

The so-called free trade of the present period is no more than
international capital giving itself the freedom to price fix unhindered,
the freedom to exercise its plans without let, the freedom to use one
group of workers to compete against another on a world scale.
There is a historically progressive side to this and abstract opposition
or support is niether here nor there.
Now turn to the practical side of things. Yes we should surely call for
democratic institutions which somehow bring order to this world. But to
make any such demand within the "Empire" requires having a base amongst
real people who live in realo states. There is no reason why this should
not be an international movement, but it would have to be an international
movement which focuses on the nation state and brings up practical demands
on how that state should be run and how production should be conducted.
"Counter-Empire" begins at home. Unless we have practical things to say
what should be done with the resources at hand, with the state we have and
prodution as it is, then we have very little to say to ordinary people.
Some of these things, once conjured up out of the contradictions of
national life, will not be compatible to "Free World Trade" as big capital
would have it - some will but many will not.

It is not Marx's quote about being in favour of free trade because it
fosters the capitalist mode of production and hence the conditions for
liberation, but his demand in the Communist Manifesto that we should fight
to realise workers immediate interests, interests which by history begin
with nation states even if they reach across borders.

The point is to raise the ability of the working class to direct its own
labour, to consciously apply portions of the surplus it provides to meet
its needs and society and to do so with an understanding and the context
of the class as an international whole.

http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0110/2970.html

see URL for futher quotes from Marx and Engels and further comments on how
to combine locally strategies with an international perspective.

Chris Burford
London